"I made co-workers buckle at the knees when they tasted it! " - David K., CA, YELP
"Made a sandwich with the lite-jerky for the first time tonight - AMAZING! " - Sarah K., MA, YELP
"Warm it over a gas flame or in a toaster oven for a few seconds for jerky like no other!"-Tasting Table
A popular way of eating the Bak Kwa is with porridge (or rice congee). This is especially true in the south pacific island of Taiwan.
Certainly the porridge serves as a good daily meal, but we also cook this up to celebrate the start of Lunar Chinese New Year as it introduces great symbol of prosperity represented by the pop of red and gold from Bak Kwa, fried shallots, dried bean curds or dried scallops(conpoy).
1.To cook your porridge, mix 1 cup of rice with 4 cups of water. Cook on low-medium heat in a pot, add a pinch of salt to taste. Stir porridge occasionally to prevent sticking at the bottom. Porridge will be cooked in 30 – 45 min.2. Cut Bak Kua into small slices, and toast lightly to warm. Sprinkle Bak Kwa and fried scallops over porridge with green onions.
This is a healthy twist to the traditional Cantonese chicken mushroom rice recipe with the use of a medley of high fiber and nutrition rich brown, red and wild rice. The bakkwa's sweet, salty and chewiness goes exceptionally well with the rice. This medley of rice can be bought at Costco.
Chef's tip :
Use a pan with a good lid and this same recipe can also be prepared in a claypot for that added claypot fragrance. If white rice is used, the rice can be transferred to a rice cooker for simmering after the addition of water. However, the amount of broth/water used should be reduced to 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon. The almost cooked chicken can be added when the rice cooker has jumped to the warming setting.
1. Marinade chicken with seasoning ingredients for about 20 mins. 2. Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan or skillet with lid. 3. Add ginger and garlic. 4. When garlic is brown, add chicken and stir fry till chicken is almost cooked. Remove. 5. Add rice and button mushroom into the pan and stir fry for 30 secs. Then add chicken broth, salt and water. 6. Cover with the lid and bring to boil. 7. Simmer on low heat for 30 mins or until all the water is dried up. 8. Add chicken and mix into the rice. 9. Enjoy.
Independence Day is all about fireworks, good beer, and lip smackin’ burgers. If you are game for creating something effortlessly delicious, our mini Bak Kwa burger might just be the answer for you.
Juicy, sweet and tangy BBQ meat combined with lettuce, grilled pineapple and pepper jack or deli Swiss cheese, the Bak Kwa burger is fun and satisfying - we’ve tried it, and we think you’ll like it too!
An Italian pizza makeover with Bak Kwa, this unexpected combination will wow your taste buds and whoever you are entertaining at the party.
We substitute the usual pizza meat toppings with our flavorful, smoky and juicy Bak Kwa, baked with sweet onion, aromatic fennel, and a healthy punch of spinach. It is so irresistible, be prepare to make more to go around the table, consider yourself warned!!
Chef’s tips: Be creative and use ingredients available in your fridge. Sweet corn, leeks, asparagus are good match with the Bak Kwa too. Use flatbread, flour tortilla, or puff pastry to create bite size snacks. Bak Kua are also healthier alternative to pizza toppings such as pepperoni, sausage or bacon as it's sodium and cholesterol content is often less than half the traditional pizza toppings.
- 1 pound of Turkey or Pork Bak Kua
- 1 bulb of Fennel
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1/2 bag of Triple-washed Spinach
- 1 Pizza Dough (we use Trader Joes Wheat Pizza Dough)
- 1/2 bag of Mozzarella Cheese
1. Thinly slice the onion and fennel, and remove spinach from package.
2. Meanwhile, let the dough sit for 20 minutes, and preheat the oven to 450° (follow package instructions)
3. Heat olive oil in skillet, and sauté the onion until softened, season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add fennel and cook for 2 minutes, lastly, add the spinach and cook until wilt down.
This is a quick and easy, hearty breakfast hash brown with jerky (BBQ Bak Kwa) recipe that can be prepared with a non-stick skillet or omelet pan over the stove top. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and is the perfect breakfast to wow your mom this coming Mother’s Day. The sweet smoky jerky imparts that special flavor that is unlike any other. Try it and I’m sure you will soon be looking forward to breakfast!
Serve your skillet hash brown omelet with extra Pork or Turkey jerky squares as garnish. Mmmmm.......
This recipe can be made extra special by replacing the sea salt with garlic salt or by adding some chopped onions together with the hash brown in Step 3. Other modifications for a more gourmet meal is to replace the frozen hash brown with the frozen potatoes O’brien, also from Ore-Ida.